Senior Care in River Oaks TX – How to Avoid the Bedroom from Becoming a Sick Room
When you have a chronically ill senior loved one, the bedroom can quickly begin to look and feel as though it was a “sickroom” instead. This doesn’t help the person get better. Since they will be spending a lot of time in their bedroom recovering, this article will show you how to make their bedroom more liveable.
The surroundings you live in can either motivate you or demoralize you. When a person is sick there might be pill bottles lying around, medical supplies in sight, drapes closed, discarded clothing or towels on furniture or in heaps on the floor, and overflowing trash baskets. A room that looks like this can quickly become depressing to both the elderly loved and to their caregiver.
Here are some strategies you can use to turn the bedroom into a living room:
- Since your loved one will be spending some time in this room for recovery, cheer it up a little.
- Put all the pills, medical supplies, adult briefs, bandages, bed pads and so on into the closet or into dresser drawers in an organized fashion so they can be accessed easily but they are out of sight.
- It’s worth getting a hospital bed if your parent can’t get into and out of bed very well. Medicare might cover this cost, so it’s worth checking to see. Most companies will provide delivery of the bed.
- It’s a good idea to use daily pill dispensers so your senior loved one doesn’t get confused as to when to take which pills.
- If there’s room, set up a table and a couple of chairs to make a little visiting area so your parent can get out of bed and sit and visit with visitors who want to come and see him.
- Put a table next to the bed so you can place the TV remote, a fresh drink of water, eyeglasses and maybe a bouquet of flowers on it.
- Don’t clutter up this table with anything else, especially medications.
- Get a bell or room monitor so your elderly loved one can call for their caregiver without having to yell. Whether it’s a family member or a caregiver from senior care services, there will be times when your loved one is alone in the room while someone is preparing a meal, answering the door or doing some cleanup.
- Make sure the bedding is a quiet and soothing shade rather than a loud and boisterous pattern. It can really be calming for the elderly person to have neutral shades of bedding. Avoid big bold busy patterns.
- Try and give your loved one’s room some natural sunlight each day. Fresh air is also good because they may not be getting outside very often while recovering.
If you or an aging loved one are in need of senior care services in River Oaks TX, please call the staff at New Frontier Home Care. We are available to answer your senior care questions! Call Today (832) 664-7394. Providing Care in Houston, River Oaks, The Heights, Memorial, Katy, Kingwood, Spring, Pearland, The Woodlands, Sugar Land & League City Texas.
Gary completed his Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management on a full-ride scholarship at North Dakota State University. He returned back to his hometown of Houston & joined the Houston Police Department, putting his life on the line to keep others safe. Currently Gary stays involved with the police force through monthly volunteer work, but his main priority is New Frontier Home Care, where he serves as Marketing Director.
Gary is a Verified Google Author