Senior Care in Memorial, TX – February 16th is President’s Day
Presidents’ Day celebrates the birthdays of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, both of which were in February. In 1968, a bill was passed by Congress to move a few federal holidays so they would fall on a Monday and make a 3-day weekend; it took effect in 1971.
Below are some facts about Washington and Lincoln. How many do you know?
· Was born on February 22, 1732
· Was the first President of the United States in 1789, re-elected in 1792
· Was the Commander-In-Chief of the Continental Army during the American Revolution
· Richmond, Virginia sponsored a public celebration of his birthday in 1782
· Died in 1799
· Born February 12, 1809
· Married Mary Todd in 1842
· Became the 16th president of the United States
· Inaugurated President only 6 months before the Civil War began
· Issued his famous Emancipation Proclamation which freed 5 million slaves as of January 1, 1863
· Was elected for a second term on November 1864
· On April 15, 1865 was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth
· The Lincoln Memorial is located in Washington, D.C., designed by New York architect Henry Bacon using classic Greek style. The statue of Lincoln sitting on a chair was done by the sculptor Daniel Chester French
To celebrate Presidents’ Day with your family and elderly loved one, consider serving Washington’s favorite meal of fish, or gingerbread men to honor Lincoln’s famous story of giving up his favorite treat so that a boy poorer than himself could have some. Or, you can get more facts and make a little trivia game out of it for family members to play. See who knows the most about some of the famous presidents, or at least who is best at guessing!
For help at home with personal care tasks, consider hiring senior care services for your elderly loved one. Having a trained and loving caregiver as a companion and helper can increase your senior’s confidence as well as her general well-being.
If you or an aging loved one are in need of senior care services in Memorial, TX, please call the staff at New Frontier Home Care. We are available to answer your senior care questions! Call Today at (832) 664-7394. Providing care in Houston, River Oaks, The Heights, Memorial, Katy, Kingwood, Spring, Pearland, The Woodlands, Sugar Land & League City.
Gary completed his Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management on a full-ride scholarship at North Dakota State University. He returned back to his hometown of Houston & joined the Houston Police Department, putting his life on the line to keep others safe. Currently Gary stays involved with the police force through monthly volunteer work, but his main priority is New Frontier Home Care, where he serves as Marketing Director.
Gary is a Verified Google Author